Sunday, November 20, 2011

patients.. I'm braiding!

Hello! Hello!
I come across a huge bag full of different colored yarns about two weeks ago and had an "ahh ha!" moment. I had 4th and 5th graders last week Tuesday.. I figured "why not teach them how to braid?" I gave them the choice of a necklace or a bracelet.
Well, it took a lot of patients... Turns out only a few kids knew how! But boy, oh boy! They sure were willing to learn. I would let the student select what six colors they wanted and tied the strings together. Had them choice what two colors they wanted to pair so we had a set of three (this helped build autonomy, since they had a choice). From then, it was all about teaching them the technique. The student’s helped each other; one would hold on to the end, while the other one would follow step by step on how to go thru the motions of braiding. I loved how excited they would get once they saw the pattern emerge and the moment they caught on. For example, a 4th grade girl actually said “hold on, I mess up,” and when ahead fixed her own mistake. This illustrated that she was paying attention to detail, as well as the directions.
This week, I had some 3rd graders come up to me during they activity hour and ask if I can show them how to braid because they wanted to also make a bracelet. She was very patient as well. She made a few more mistakes than the boy did the week before, but due to her being younger than him, she was also working on her fine motor skills. ( For her, I also held the end of the string, I would hold the middle string and I would have her bring in the outer string to the middle, than I would hold the middle string, move it to the side and have her take the opposite sides outer string to the middle, and continue on.)
It took quite a while to finish up the bracelets, but the sense of accomplishment that the student’s felt was well worth the time.
Till I find the time to post the next art session,
Miss Tanja

No comments:

Post a Comment